[Frama-c-discuss] (no subject)

As said others before, your contract on main() is not valid.

As the name "new_value" suggests, do you expect that this function
returns a freshly allocated pointer? In that case, your contract should
reflect this. Here is a possible specification. Notice also that your
initial ensures "\result != \null" is not enough to guarantee that the
resulting pointer is \valid

/*@ assigns \nothing;
  @ allocates \result;
  @ ensures \valid(\result) && \fresh(\result,sizeof(int*));
  @*/
extern int *new_value();

/*@ requires \valid(p);
  @ assigns *p;
  @*/
void f(int* p){
  *p = 8;
}

/*@ assigns \nothing;
  @*/
int main(void){
 int *p = new_value();
 f(p);
}

Side note: the allocates clause might not be well supported by plugins
WP and Jessie. With Jessie, such a code triggers an error, unless you
add the pragma

#pragma SeparationPolicy(none)

(this is a known bug of the separation analysis in presence of dynamic
allocation)

- Claude